Downtown Middletown Gateway Project
Located at 25 Charles Street, Middletown’s Train Depot sits at the eastern gateway of downtown. Built in 1909 by the New York Central Railroad, it was named the Big Four Railroad Depot, and used in connection with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis.
In 1966 after passenger service discontinued, Mr. JD Sawyer and Mr. Harry A. Finkelman purchased the depot. Now owned by Harry A. Finkelman, Inc., the station is home to the upscale Whistle Stop Shop. The historic station is restored/maintained terra cotta and brick, with tile roof and wood trim.
As part of the Downtown Middletown Revitalization, the depot is located in a prime redevelopment area of Middletown, Ohio.